Friday, December 20, 2013

Bento in a rush, pork with potatoes


Being half an hour late for work is not a good time to learn a new recipe.  I had planed on some simple tonkatsu (breaded fried pork) but I had no bread or breadcrumbs.  So I grabbed my Just Bento cookbook and found a recipe for fried ginger pork with potatoes.



Quite tasty, but I think next time I'm substituting bacon fat for the butter.  Butter made the potatoes taste too sweet.  Also, I think a dash of chili or hot sauce would be nice with the potatoes.  Also in the lunch some lightly boiled broccoli and shredded raw cabbage.  Have to make certain everything is cool enough before adding the cabbage otherwise it's wilt city.  But it's a good idea to let the bento cool before putting the lid on it anyway, as it reduces condensation and keeps it from spoiling.

The only thing I didn't like about it is that the rice and the potatoes were both a starch, which was a bit much even for me.  I think next time, make a larger amount of the main dish and leave the rice at home.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos.

Healthy, yep
Affordable, about 2 to 3 dollars for the ingredients


Shared on:


Bento Lunch

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious, Ramen! Bacon fat or butter.....I'm all in!!

    ReplyDelete